Friday, July 22, 2011

Kale Chips

 Super simple, super crunchy, and super easy to flavor to taste.


KitchenAntics linked a few blogs for me, one of them being &Cinnamon, though for the life of me I can't find her proper site anymore. =X  In our quest to kill grains from the diet, its been tough finding good snackable foods.  Baked kale chips have turned out to be a pretty solid option and next time I go to the grocery store I'll be picking up more kale for another round!

No pictures for this one, I'm so sorry!

Step 1: Buy a bunch of kale!  Take it home, rinse it, and tear it into nice bite sized little pieces, making sure you toss (or compost or save for later) the thick central parts of the leaves and stalks. Preheat the oven to 350 while you're at it.

Step 2: Now that you have nice little bits of just kale leaves, put 'em all in a bowl, grab your sexiest bottle of olive oil and give them a nice rub down.  I think I ended up using about two tablespoons for all of mine.  It wasn't very much oil, definitely goes farther than one might think.

Step 3: Dump everything on your baking sheet and spread evenly.  I tried my first kale chips in two batches, one very spaced and thin, the second all the left overs.  If they're evenly spread out and not too think, having a full baking sheet doesn't seem to be an issue at all.  I'm confident you could do a *full* head of kale on two or less baking sheets.

Step 4: Season to taste! The kale doesn't have much flavor in and of itself once its baked, so anything you use here will go quite far.  The first batch I made I divided into three sections: salted, garlic salted, Lowrey's BBQ seasoning.  I definitely over-seasoned everything, though the BBQ turned out pretty awesome in my opinion.  Play with it but I do suggest going light-handed at first.

Step 5: Bake! 11-15 minutes at 350 should do it, but as it was suggested, keep an eye on them.  It doesn't take much to go from splendid to burnt toast. I set mine for 11 minutes exactly and they turned out fabulous.

Step 6: Remove from oven and crunch away!  I don't know how well these store, but they are fragile so perhaps a plastic container would be best.  I made some, snacked on them, put them away and then they were gone.. not eaten just.. gone.  I think a dog stole the container and then Dean put it in a weird spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment